Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Adaptation

I was going to post a week by week writeup of my training, what I did and how it went but realized that would make for very dull reading.  So if you are interested in that sort of thing you can follow me on Strava.

Over the last two months I've gone from running and walking in alternating bursts and I finally have mastered the slow steady jog to be able to catch my breath while jogging and not have to stop running to walk.  But oddly enough the overall average speed hasn't changed that much.  I did a 5k race on May 5 in 40min.  And today I did a 10k race in 1hr 18min.  Both races averaged between 12 and 13 min/mile even though one was walking and running and the other was a continuous steady jog.

Starting next week I'll be starting a new training program focused purely on getting in as many miles per week as I can get.  I have yet to decide on a goal for the half marathon I'll be running in October, but I just need to see how well my body can adapt to a higher volume of running.  Today by the end of the race my calfs were tight and sore and just done working.  I want to finish my half marathon not just in a good time, but also feeling good.

No comments: