Monday, September 4, 2017

Feasting on the Words of Christ

For a long time I've had no interest in studying my sctiptures.  It has really been an off and on struggle ever since my mission.  I made excuses why I couldn't or didn't have time, but the honest truth was I just didn't like it.  I never really felt fed by my scripture study experience and it had become drudgery.  Stories of people reading and not wanting to sleep or eat were incomprehensible to me.

Now I think I finally get it!  Last week was a ladies' meeting at my synagogue.  The meeting itself was alright, but as the meeting wound down me and another lady got to talking about her trying to decide whether or not our synagogue was the place for her.  She told me a couple comments I had made in our new members class she had appreciated and we got to talking about what we're each looking for and whether or not we feel like we're getting it at our synagogue.  Then our discussion turned toward some scriptural teachings, and we decided to go to my house to continue it.  We sat at my kitchen table across from each other and read many scriptures together and I understood certain scriptures in greater depth than I had before.  We talked and read for a couple hours.  I truely felt fed.  It had been a while since I've felt that way.  When she left I made dinner for my kids and went through nightly routines and when I got them to bed I realized I hadn't eaten since lunch, but being so fed spiritually I didn't actually hunger physically, and I went to bed content.

I'm still not great at reading daily, but I've had a taste and I want more, and I will figure out how to feed myself spiritually on a more regular basis.  This was like a feast after a fast.  I really want continual daily growth.  This was so joyful, I know I would love my life more if I feasted more regularly.

How do you carve out time to feast on the words of Christ?  May you eat and be filled regularly.  God bless you.

No comments: